b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:00:56 +0500

On 26/09/2005 21:53, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Lord God brought forward the man. Dust of the ground blew into his face. The man became a breath of life to a living soul.
That is, God sent the man to irrigate. The man breathed the dust, and indeed irrigated. By doing that, the man brought a breath of life to all living creatures.

I don't argue 100% for that translation. Exegetically, I love it. Semantically, it seems no worse that the traditional one, also with some problems.

Whatever you may think of it exegetically, it is based on such a total misunderstanding of Hebrew syntax that I will simply suggest that you go away and learn some elementary Hebrew rather than expect me to correct your obvious mistakes.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)