b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:31:00 +0100

On 02/09/2005 01:25, Dave Washburn wrote:

... Unlike Karl, I'm not glad I never got the doctorate, mainly because it would have been a lot of fun, and at that time I could easily have become a professional student and loved every minute of it. I would have loved to have the degree, but it never happened. Now, at 52, I find that with the advent of the Internet, it's not that crucial any more.

But Peter, you have me curious. You say you decided there was little point in pursuing it. What prompted that conclusion, if I may ask?

My situation now is not that different from yours as described above, although I am 50 not 52 and not married. Interaction on the Internet suits me well, in many ways better than a more formal academic structure. And for personal reasons I prefer to live in a place which is out of the academic mainstream - no Hebrew or anything related at our local minor university. I suppose the "little point" relates mainly to my personal life goals, which do not include getting an academic job. There would be some point if by doing so I could significantly advance the knowledge of Hebrew or whatever, but I suppose I lack the confidence that I can do that.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)