b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:50:44 -0500

Bill:

In view of discussions on publishing in peer review journals,
yesterday Slashdot linked to a story that a majority of
scientific papers are wrong. Here's the New Scientist review
of the paper http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7915
and the paper itself
http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10%2E1371%2Fjournal%2Epmed%2E0020124

Further, you take as an example of Genesus 24:63, where
there is a word that is listed as a happax legomai, where
its context is not clear as to its meaning, and try to use
that as an argument against finding word meanins in a
language by studying how they are used in context. But I
have already dealt with the question of such words in a
dead language with no native speakers to question: we have
no other option than to look at how people translated the
term in the past and to look at cognate languages, and then
to admit that the meaning is unclear. It's hubris to claim
that we can find out exactly what such words mean.

The word in question is %WX. (Is is possible that that is
the Qal of %YX? Further evidence is that the Pilel form is
%WXX. At least some of the translations seem to point that
way.)

A better example would be TW$YH, where I found unclear
thinking on its meaning. At
http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html it was given the number
8454 with the meanings of "from an unused root probably
meaning to substantiate; support or (by implication)
ability, i.e. (direct) help, (in purpose) an undertaking,
(intellectual) understanding:--enterprise, that which
(thing as it) is, substance, (sound) wisdom, working." In
other dictionaries I found also "salvation" and "help" as
possibilities. The word is used all of 12 times in Tanakh.
In other words, with so many different meanings given, it
is clear that it cannot have a new definition for almost
every use, as that would make the term undefined. Finally,
after studying all its occurances, making notes on
parallelisms and contexts, looking at the actions involved,
I came to the conclusion that it means "forethought, this
is thinking ahead of time concerning concepts and ideas,
considering options and making contingency plans where
applicable (arranging of thoughts ?? from the root $WH ??)"
a meaning that seems to fit all occurances of the noun.
Notice I still include question marks, to indicate a
certain amount of doubt. It would have been easier to pin
down its definition had it been used more often.

Words used only a few times, especially five or fewer
times, often do not occure in enough contexts where the
context can tell what it means. So we have to look
elsewhere. That's only common sense.

Karl W. Randolph