b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rob Barrett <rcbarrett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kevin Graham <kevlds AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:45:29 +0100

Kevin Graham wrote:

It is hard to figure out if child sacrifice was actually condoned or commanded, originally. I know it was later stated (unambiguously) that the Levites were to take the place of firstborn sacrifices.

If you are interested in the theme of child sacrifice, I recommend reading Jon Levenson's "The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son: The Transformation of Child Sacrifice in Judaism and Christianity". Levenson finds quite a few instances of "sacrificing" (in one sense or another) one's beloved son and then "receiving" him back (in one sense or another). From the cover:
"The near-sacrifice and miraculous restoration of a beloved son is a central but largely overlooked theme in both Judaism and Christianity, celebrated in biblical texts on Isaac, Ishmael, Jacob, Joseph, and Jesus. In this highly original book, Jon D. Levenson explores how this notion of child sacrifice constitutes an overlooked bond between the two religions."

For those not familiar with him, Levenson is a prominent Jewish scholar at Harvard who interacts productively with Christian scholars.

all the best,
Rob