b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Graham" <kevlds AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:51:09 +0000

Thanks Harold. The last sentence in the verse just seems to be self-contradictory. It says the firstborn males of every womb was to be "sacrificed" with the firstborn animals (suggesting sacrificed in the same manner) and then in the same breath it says the firstborn were "redeemed."

It is hard to figure out if child sacrifice was actually condoned or commanded, originally. I know it was later stated (unambiguously) that the Levites were to take the place of firstborn sacrifices.