b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machine translation of the Bible, and a critique of Nida

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machine translation of the Bible, and a critique of Nida
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:42:27 +0100

I happen to be reading, for reasons not originally related to this list (I am preparing a posting for http://englishbibles.blogspot.com/), a paper on Bible translation theory presented to SBL by David Weber, http://www.und.nodak.edu/dept/linguistics/wp/2003Weber.PDF . (Warning: this includes examples from the New Testament.)

This paper is relevant to James' hopes for machine translation. As he realises, machine translation based on the code model does not work. Relevance Theory, referred to be Weber, might be a useful framework.

It is also relevant to Rolf's criticisms of Nida's theory. Weber is also critical of Nida, but his criticisms take him in a totally different direction from Rolf's criticisms. While I don't entirely agree with Weber, it seems to me that the direction in which he is moving is a far more realistic one than Rolf's retreat towards literalism.