b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:55:53 -0400

Hi Harold, It is indeed a powerful and intriguing passage.

you wrote:

I had some trouble
with this line:

Yet it is our sickness he is bearing

Here the verb is X-Qatal, but my training would not lead me to use a present progressive in translation.

Fair enough. I should have written, "He bears" or "He has born" Better?

I think some of your questions may be answered in my other post to Rolf in this thread. For instance, I mention _hinneh_ and the use of present tense for prophecy. If your questions are not satisfied by that post, throw them back at me! ;-)

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine

<noted and snipped>