b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:27:24 +0100

Dear James,

I have no experience with data programs designed to help Bible translators,
and therefore I have no objections to your use of phrases (=a verb+its
argument(s), adverbial or another element) as the basic unit in such
programs. However, the phrases cannot be used as the fundamental units in
the analysis of the verbs of Hebrew. In this case we must use lexical words
(substantives, nouns, adjectives etc) and morphosyntactic words
(participles, infinitives, YIQTOLs, QATALs etc).

The less problematic unit to use in linguistic studies is the minimal pair, where the difference is
just one letter, and any differences in meaning must relate to that single letter. We may say that the certainty of an interpretation is opposite in proportion to the number of units that we try to account for at the same time.
This means that words are the units that we must deal with in order to analyse meaning in Hebrew.

In my curriculum, when I studied applied linguistics at the University of
Oslo, was the following book of Peter Newmark (1988) (who had spent several
decades as atranslator) "A Textbook of Translation". (Newmark`s book was
awarded the British Association of Applied Linguitics prize in 1988.). He
writes (p. 2) "Many translators say you shall never translate words, you
translate sentences or ideas or messages. I think they are fooling
themselves. The SL (source language) texts consist of words, that is all
that is there, on the page." This book is highly recommended for all
translators and for those interested in the meaning of the Hebrew text of
the Bible. Newmark does not deal with bible translation, though.
At a meeting of Bible translators in Oslo this year, one of the participants told the audience that in France several translators he communicated with had returned to the word. Their method was idiomatic, but they tried as much as possible to render each original word with one French word.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>