b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

"Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu> wrote:

".... It is my
understanding of modern Arabic that spoken Arabic
differs mightily from the written. When two who
speak the same spoken Arabic dialect write letters
they still must use the written form, since
according to my informants, you cannot write the
spoken form. If all this is correct, it implies
that these Aramaic letters, which sound so
colloquial, may not reveal the spoken language at
all, but could reveal rather only a language used
for writing. ..."

Well,. that's only partially correct, since by an large colloquial Arabic
uses fewer consonants than the standard literary language.

Also, captions in cartoons etc can be written in the colloquial language.

Uri

Yahoo! Sports
>From uhurwitz AT yahoo.com Tue Jul 5 20:00:21 2005

h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=PDhOgdBQcV9p/jLtP8AWWNTNVCEd6pH4tv8DIq/wD+IodVQpfEFd2gxcDn6D1uNOKSR16kR6EyVcWubqMoKSEawLILm+h8l6Ek2n1bDpG8ibW/mrLTAlRJBQXkg0h3/m3VsPoSsXeFXRJkGeL6DZjM++GEqZ2VPlm+va4PvKv6w=
;