b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com, archaeology2 AT yahoogroups.com, neareasternarchaeology AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:23:27 -0500

Yigal:

Was there any _spoken_ difference between Akkadian and Aramaic during the
Neo-Babylonian period? That what appear to be differences may actually be
related to our faulty understanding of pronunciation?

All I can say definitely is that all the history sources I have read indicate
that Aramaic was the lingua Franca from the Neo-Babylonian period through the
end of the Persian empire. Further, official documents were found in Egypt
written in Aramaic from that period.

Karl W. Randolph.