b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] schwa in imperative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VadimCherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] schwa in imperative
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:46:29 +0300

I certainly agree that commands are distinguished by pitch, though also by
vowel length and stress.
In milspeak, verbs are often pronounced as two different phonemes, vowel in
the first one elongated. Such division into two subwords is not an option for
normal imperatives, and compression of command into phonetically single word
could compress it into ctov. Also, imperative verbs, unlike commands, are
usually followed by nouns, on one breath, adding to compression of verb.

This compression works for cvcvc verbs. Later imperatives from hifil and piel
might be simply modeled on future tense. More likely, however, is that hifil
and piel cvccvc is less prone to reduction.

I just dont believe that Hebrew grammatical forms are arbitrary, but rather
evolved due to syntax.

Vadim Cherny

  • [b-hebrew] schwa in imperative, VadimCherny, 06/24/2005