b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: roythomas AT cwjamaica.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:55:42 -0400

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:03:17 -0500 ROY THOMAS <roythomas AT cwjamaica.com>
writes:

> Dear Hebrew scholars,
> I am just a beginner. I want to know and learn hebrew.
> what would be the best translation of " midbar"?
> Thanks.
> Roy Thomas.

That would depend upon the context in which it is used as is almost
always the case with any word. No word is used in the same way in all
circumstances. It frequently is translated as "desert", but our concept
of desert as a dry, sandy, barren place may not be correct in all
instances. Sometimes it is simply "wilderness" or "pasture land."

george
gfsomsel