b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: ROY THOMAS <roythomas AT cwjamaica.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:18:31 -0400

Wilderness, wasteland, desert, steppe, pasturage The choice of words used to translate depends completely on the context. Words have usage, not meaning. Apart from some specific context a word means nothing. Take, for example, the word "light". What does it mean? Well, it can be used to describe something "not heavy" or it can be used to describe "illumination" or "the absence of darkness". Only context will tell you which it is.

Best

Jim

ROY THOMAS wrote:

Dear Hebrew scholars,
I am just a beginner. I want to know and learn hebrew.
what would be the best translation of " midbar"?
Thanks.
Roy Thomas.

--
D. Jim West