b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] anti-prophet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] anti-prophet
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:29:17 -0500

Jim:

To be consistant, you’d have to claim that the Tanakh was finished after 73
AD, after the defeat of the Jewish revolt. For example, Daniel 9:24-27
mentions a 490 year period that started at the command to rebuild the walls
of Jerusalem. That did not happen under Cyrus the Great, which was merely a
command to rebuild the temple, rather it started under Nehemiah. The dates I
have seen from different sources for Nehemiah’s rebuilding range from ca 390
to 440 BC, so taking an average of 415 BC gives 490 years ending at 75 AD,
only two years off from the traditional date of 73 AD for the end of the
Jewish revolt, which was put down after seven years by a general who later
became emporer, i.e. “the leader who is to come”. About midway through the
seven year revolt, the temple sacrifices were stopped, again fitting the
prophecy. Therefore, if the prophecy was really written after the events
portrayed, then Daniel would have been finished only well after Jesus lived.
(Notice, I’m not doing funny things with the years to make them fit some
imagined timeline with a separate seven year period that we are still waiting
for.) (From the same prophecy, if Jesus was the Messiah who was cut off, his
death was about 27 ± a year or two.)

Again, Genesis 49:10 was not fulfilled until about AD 5. Jews were often a
vassal nation, but internally continued to be ruled by Jewish law until it
was abrogated by the Romans, so was Genesis written in the early years AD?
Even Antiochus Epimanes controlled only a few main cities, not the
countryside which continued to follow Jewish law, which caused him to lose
the main cities as well.

Or is it only through some highly improbable coincidences that these
prophecies seem to fit, but that they were meant for some other events?

Now to pull this thread back onto subject, are there linguistic and
grammatical reasons apart from philosophy to read these passages differently
than as I have interpreted them?

Karl W. Randolph.