b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Bek-o-raw and monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Bek-o-raw and monarchy
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:59:21 -0500

Dear Sergio,

Bekoraw, according to The Contemporary English Version among others, can be rendered as "The rights as the first-born son".
Gen 25:31 also shows that those rights not necessarily went to the firstborn. The fact that the tribe of Joseph is reported in the AT as having a "double portion" (it was treated as two separate tribes with their own plot in the Promised Land) seems to me to support the idea that the bekoraw could be transferred from the literal firstborn son to any other.

HH: But there was an interesting mechanism involved here. Jacob adopted Joseph's two sons as his own. So each of them received one share of Jacob's inheritance. Since there were two sons, and they represented Joseph, it could appear as though Joseph received a double portion and thus the inheritance of a firstborn son:

Gen. 48:5 ΒΆ "Now then, your two sons born to you in Egypt before I came to you here will be reckoned as mine; Ephraim and Manasseh will be mine, just as Reuben and Simeon are mine.
Gen. 48:6 Any children born to you after them will be yours; in the territory they inherit they will be reckoned under the names of their brothers.

And here comes my question:
Some time ago I read that in the kingdom of Israel and Judah, the heir to the throne not necessarily was the first born, but the king could appoint any of his sons. If this is so (I'm not sure if there is agreement about this or it is just a theory) is this linked to the issue of the rights as the first-born son?

HH: I think it was normally the custom in Egypt, too, for the eldest son to be the successor to the Pharaoh:
http://www.womenintheancientworld.com/royal_women.htm

The rules of succession provided that the next pharaoh would be the eldest son by the King's Great Wife.

HH: Surely, that was normally the custom in Israel too. It does seem related to the rights of the firstborn but also to the honor that a firstborn son would have in the eyes of his father as the eldest son. But David appointed Solomon to succeed him, even though there were older sons. So the king did have the right to name his successor, it seems.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard