b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Bek-o-raw and monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Bek-o-raw and monarchy
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:26:52 +0200

Bekoraw, according to The Contemporary English Version among others, can be rendered as "The rights as the first-born son".
Gen 25:31 also shows that those rights not necessarily went to the firstborn. The fact that the tribe of Joseph is reported in the AT as having a "double portion" (it was treated as two separate tribes with their own plot in the Promised Land) seems to me to support the idea that the bekoraw could be transferred from the literal firstborn son to any other.

And here comes my question:
Some time ago I read that in the kingdom of Israel and Judah, the heir to the throne not necessarily was the first born, but the king could appoint any of his sons. If this is so (I'm not sure if there is agreement about this or it is just a theory) is this linked to the issue of the rights as the first-born son?

Sergio

Descarga gratis la Barra de Herramientas de MSN http://www.msn.es/usuario/busqueda/barra?XAPID=2031&DI=1055&SU=http%3A//www.hotmail.com&HL=LINKTAG1OPENINGTEXT_MSNBH