b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Difference between the Hebrew Bible and Septuagint inthe Shema?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Difference between the Hebrew Bible and Septuagint inthe Shema?
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:58:00 -0500

Chris:

My understanding for the difference lies in the different definitions of
words in Hebrew and Greek.

In Hebrew, LB and LBB refer to the totallity of a person‘s thought processes,
both emotional and logical. However in Greek, kardia (emotions) and nous
(logical thought) were considered separate. Therefore, to include in Greek
the totallity mentioned in the Shema, the translator (here the New Testament
writer) included a fourth word.

I don‘t know what the LXX has here.

Karl W. Randolph.