b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:19:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 10:34 AM

> Jack:
>
> Yesterday I read the NYT article which had no pictures, but it mentioned
that the two silver scrollettes were written on both sides and not all of
the writing was taken from the Bible. In the picture shown from Marianne's
link in HaAretz, I noticed what appear to be a samech and tsada in the text,
which indicates that this picture was not that of the priestly benediction
as neither letter is in the benediction.

> Like you, I'd like to see the whole megillah, and with better images, this
is just an apetizer.

> Karl W. Randolph.

>From my notes...I'll look for the sources:
The first line is the name of the owner of the amulet/Mezuzah or whatever it
was..Benayahu. The next three lines are not readable...but the benediction
begins on the 5th line.

ybr... ybrkk May he bless you
yhwh w yhwh w' YHWH and....
..$mrk y$mrk may he keep you
y)r yh y)r yhwh may he make shine YHWH
...pnyw pnyw faces of him
..yk w.. )lyk wyhnk on you and may he be gracious to you
**
..m lk $.. wy$m lk may he give to you
..wm $lwm peace

**26a of Numbers 6 y$) yhwh pnyw )lyk "May he turn YHWH his faces to you"
is absent.

I think the benediction was common in oral use and later used in Numbers.

Jack Kilmon