b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] naming the characters in SoS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Baruch and Ruthy Alster" <alster AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] naming the characters in SoS
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:38:57 +0200

Shalom to all!

Many English translations of the Song of Songs use the terms "lover" and
"beloved" for the main characters - the active form for the man and the
passive form for the woman. This terminology seems quite inappropriate for
the SoS (where the woman is the center of the action), but goes well with
traditional stereotypes...

On the other hand, an 18th century Jewish commentator I am working on (R.
Jehiel Hillel Altschuler, author of Metsudat David / Metsudat Zion), uses the
passive form for both characters: "hashuq" and "hashuqah", respectively.

Does anyone know of other examples of either of these phenomena (in
translations, commentaries, etc.). I am especially looking for examples
current in Western and Central Europe in Altschuler's time (late 18th cent.).

Thank you,
Baruch Alster
Zufim, Israel