b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] quesiton about Song of the Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] quesiton about Song of the Sea
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:39:06 -0600

Were different parts of the Song of the Sea written at different times?
Its general style is 12th century. It contains the oldest and most basic
version of the story of the death of Pharaoh's army in the Red Sea.

Our leader in our bible study class Wednesday said that in those days
everyone in the Near East, certainly Pharaho's armies, used horsedrawn
chariots, not rode horses, and that noone rode horses until the 8th century.
I don't know if this is true. But I sure would have expected Pharaoh's
horses to have been mainly pulling chariots - unless the passages taht talk
about horse and rider actually mean something else or have another origin.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com