b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Solomon's palace in 1 Kings 7:1-8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Solomon's palace in 1 Kings 7:1-8
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:23:02 +0200

It has been suggesed that the description of Solomon's palace fits that of a
Bit-hilani (Akkadian for "house of halls"), a typical Syrian-Mesopotamian
model for palaces of the period, featuring colonnaded porches. See A. Mazar,
in Archaeology of the Land of the Bible (ABRL; New York, Doubleday, 1990,
pp. 378-379).
The way I understand it, the Ulam was the central hall of each building,
while the Bayit was the adjacent rooms.

Yigal