b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Solomon's palace in 1 Kings 7:1-8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Solomon's palace in 1 Kings 7:1-8
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:46:41 -0500

Dear Chemorion Chosefu:

This is a difficult question to answer, as the
Hebrew terms do not correspond to modern
English terms. What follows is how I
understand the terms.

)HL specifically refers to a tent.

BYT refers to “house” most commonly, but also
to any structure where a person can live, from
a tent on the low end to a castle for royalty.

BYTN seems restricted to a large house, namely
a palace.

)WLM is a covered something attached to the
wall of large stone structure, like a gallery.

)YLM seems always connected to a doorway or
gate, making it a portico, which is a covered
doorway extending out from the wall of a
building.

)RMWN and )RMNH refer to a fortified center of
a castle.

BYRH seems to indicate an edifice, a large,
imposing building.

BYRNYH a large, imposing and fortified
structure.

BNYH a building.

HYKL refers to a large meeting room. By
extension, it also refers to the building that
houses such a room. It can be in a tent or a
building of wood and/or stone.

If I have made any mistakes or misunderstood
any of the above terms, please discuss.

Karl W. Randolph.