b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:06:49 -0500

Peter Kirk wrote:

The pattern of setuma and petuha in the Hebrew Bible does not always correspond to verse divisions (not just here, in quite a lot of places), which suggests to me that it is part of a tradition independent from the Masoretic one which divides the text into verses and subdivisions with sof pasuq and accents (cantillation marks). The Masoretic marking tells readers how to chant the verse. If the setuma does as well, it is at least part of an independent chanting tradition.

I'm not sure this actually answers the question. It does suggest that the Masoretes weren't necessarily trying to pass judgment on how the passage should be subdivided. In any case, we might say the same thing generally--they were trying to preserve the tradition handed down to them. Where the tradition diverged, they appear in some cases to have done the best they could to preserve multiple options. But whether or not we can say anything about the Masoretes' own views on the passage, it does seem like whatever tradition the stumah preserves is in fact following a division similar to that of the iconic Christian tradition, whereby vv. 6-10 constitute one command and v. 21 constitutes two (English vv.). Even the versification of this passage varies, BTW, between the two accenting systems.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics