b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:45:45 -0800

On 28/02/2004 03:33, Søren Holst wrote:

A clever student asked me whether the "stumah" in the middle of Deut 5,21
might indicate that the Masoretes considered subdividing the commandment against
coveting into two (as in some christian traditions). Having to improvise an answer, I
suggested the sign primarily tells you how to read/chant the verse - but still: Might
he be on to something?

kol tuv
Soren

The pattern of setuma and petuha in the Hebrew Bible does not always correspond to verse divisions (not just here, in quite a lot of places), which suggests to me that it is part of a tradition independent from the Masoretic one which divides the text into verses and subdivisions with sof pasuq and accents (cantillation marks). The Masoretic marking tells readers how to chant the verse. If the setuma does as well, it is at least part of an independent chanting tradition.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)