b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Looking for a Reference

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jerry Shepherd" <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Looking for a Reference
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:23:04 -0700

Listers,

I'm hoping someone on the list can help me locate something. I remember
reading an article or chapter in a book (probably twenty years ago) to the
effect that there was a conscious attempt in Hebrew poetry (perhaps even in
narrative as well) to avoid arriving at a perfect symmetrical structure; that
is, the author strived for a certain level of asymmetry. Just when you think
you have a poem or other composition figured out, there is always something
that disrupts the flow. Poems can be primarily chiastic, but never perfectly
so. Patterns are implemented in the composition, but are not followed
through. The author did so in order to keep the reader off guard and
preserve a certain "mystery" to his work.

If I remember correctly, it was in a book rather than a journal, and I
believe it was written by a Jewish scholar of a previous generation. Any
help would be appreciated.

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
11525 - 23 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
CANADA
Office: (780)431-5250
Home: (780)434-1164
Fax: (780)436-9416
Email: Jerry.Shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca
Internet: http://www.taylor-edu.ca

  • [b-hebrew] Looking for a Reference, Jerry Shepherd, 02/06/2004