b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 30:19 (LMH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 30:19 (LMH
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:21:35 -0500

To All:

After writing a note last night questioning if some of the lexemes in the
dictionary are merely alternate spellings, does it make sense that I should
come on today asking if we should add one? Especially when in this case I
don’t have an alternate spelling to back me up?

While reading Proverbs 30 this morning, it struck me that the last of the
four objects moving is that of the conquering fellow “into the unknown”. A
possible pronunciation being “derek geber be‘alumah”.

Linguistically, the proposed (LMH “‘alumah” comes from the root (LM meaning
“to be unknown or make unknown”, so the meaning fits.

Psychologically, there is a constant desire of men to challenge the unknown,
whether it is to explore new frontiers, make new discoveries or invent that
which has not appeared before.

So here I have the parallelism of the context in the verse, linguistic
possibility and psychological insight that suggests that (LMH read as
“‘alumah” “unknown” is a proper lexeme that fits this verse.

Even this question is my road into the unknown and youall keep shooting me
down often enough, but I’m learning. :-)

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers