b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Consecutive waw in Lev .22:7 ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: <furuli AT online.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Consecutive waw in Lev .22:7 ?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:56:00 -0400

Hi Rolf,

I am sympathetic to your view that "the map [of traditional grammars] does
not fit the terrain [of the Tanakh]" perfectly, and needs to be reexamined.
In fact my dissertation is on Hebrew Tense, Aspect and Mood between the
Bible and the Mishnah.
Yet I agree with Trevor's statement that what he calls the "converted
perfect" covers the same basic range as the imperfect, especially in
sequences in legal passages.

I realize that your argument that Hebrew is aspectual must be more
sophisticated than simply, "The verb forms do not mark tense, therefore they
must mark aspect."

Could you concisely define what you mean by "aspect"? Is your use of
"aspect" widely accepted by other linguists?

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennerThesis