b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:10:49 -0500

Liz, et al.

What if, rather than taking the VAV as a vowel, we take it consonantally and
make the -u- vowel proceed from a kibbutz?

YaHuWeH

Then, the VAV doesn't lose its consonantal nature (as all seem to see it
need) if this is the case. I have read before a suggestion that I had
thought was in the Artscroll Siddur--consequently, I cannot now find the
statement! What is said, however, is that YaHaWeH was a possible
pronunciation. In this the first vowel is a full patach, the second is a
chatef-patach and the third is a segol. Thus:

YAHA:WEH

What do you think?

Regards,
Jason