b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 26:21 hoarse?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 26:21 hoarse?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:33:06 -0500

To All:

This is a two part question, the answer to the first influences the answer of
the second.

In Proverbs 26:21, the second half reads W)Y$ MDWNYM LXRXR RYB

The first part: what is the meaning of RYB? The dictionaries seem to mention
that it is “strife, contention”. Can we narrow down what sort of strife? To
me, when I looked at many uses of the word, it seems to mean a heated
argument, not a strife involving physical action. Of course, heated arguments
can lead to physical reaction, but not always. So what do youall say to the
idea that RYB means “to argue, get into a heated argument” as a verb, and as
a noun “(heated) argument”?

Assuming the first part means “argument”, what does XRXR mean? It is a hapax
legomai word. One dictionary claims it is a pilpal verb from XRR. But a
verbal form does not fit the pattern of the rest of the verse. From the
pattern, I’m looking for an adjective for RYB. I agree that its root is XRR
which means “to parch” used in Psalm 69:4 to indicate a throat becoming
“parched”, i.e. hoarse from calling out, so is this heated argument so loud
and protracted that its participants become hoarse?

(I understand that the LXX translated it as “goad” but I don’t think that
meaning fits.)

A proposed translation of the whole verse could read, “Charcoal is to embers
and wood is to fire as a judgmental man is to protracted arguments (lit.
hoarse arguments)”.

Any thoughts?

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers