b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] V2 (was VSO vs. SVO)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] V2 (was VSO vs. SVO)
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:38:42 -0700

on 5/29/03 1:40 PM, Dave Washburn wrote:

> Do you have any particular languages in mind?

Yes, Hebrew.

Why don't you demonstrate that Hebrew has an "unmarked" narrative clause
order. It has been tried, unsuccessfully.

What I am saying is that the analysis of clause order in Hebrew suffers from
approaching the question within a marked/unmarked framework. This sort of
thinking places unnecessary constraints on the data.

I am not trying to demonstrate anything. Just suggesting that the SVO/VSO
"game" may be a dead end for biblical Hebrew. I am not alone here.

I am now signing off, time for a walk on the beach.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point