b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] V2 (was VSO vs. SVO)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] V2 (was VSO vs. SVO)
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 21:55:00 +0100

Well, as a first and over-simplified stab at a complex subject, how about
this. A speaker, when composing a sentence, thinks on two levels. One is
basically a pragmatic level in terms of information structure, focus and
topic, and this is the primary determinant of word order. A second is a
syntactic level which determines possible syntactically acceptable ways of
saying the sentence. The speaker then attempts to find a syntactic
possibility which matches the preferred word order. In colloquial speech (I
am thinking of English now) it is quite common to hear sentences starting
with an object which then ends up in a left displaced position. In writing
and more careful speech other strategies are used e.g. passives to get the
syntax to produce the desired word order, or else the word order may be
modified if necessary if the syntax doesn't allow what the pragmatics is
looking for.

But I can hardly claim that my off the cuff thoughts can rival the
collective wisdom of a whole dynasty of Chomskys!

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/