b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] ur-textual possibilities between MT and LXX onPsa. 2:12
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:41:12 +0100

My point was that there is evidence, albeit only modern, for translators of
this verse and an analogous ones replacing "kiss" by a euphemism. Actually
there is apparently ancient evidence as well: it seems that Jerome's
translation from the Hebrew was "do sincere homage" or "give pure worship" -
which certainly doesn't depend on emending the text. I found "adorate pure"
in the text at http://www.speedbible.com/vulgate/B19C002.htm which claims to
be the "Jerome's Latin Vulgate (405 A.D.)", whereas another Vulgate text I
have has "adprehendite disciplinam" as quoted in BDB - but this is obviously
derived from LXX, so the other one must be from the Hebrew.

So the principle of replacing "kiss" by a euphemism cannot be ruled out. But
in the light of the data you present I agree that it seems unlikely that
DRASSOMAI would be such a euphemism.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/