b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Arial & Times New Roman fonts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Arial & Times New Roman fonts
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:23:20 +1000

One small correction to this. In Windows 2000 and XP there are built-in
Hebrew keyboards, which have to be enabled through the international
keyboard settings part of the control panel. These work with pretty much any
application, except for those (like Eudora?) which try to do their own
special character processing in a way incompatible with how Microsoft does
it. They are inconvenient for users with English physical keyboards, but not
as inconvenient as Insert Symbol. Alternatively, you can install Keyman, a
free download from www.tavultesoft.com, and a Hebrew keyboard to work with
it based on transliteration, such as the one which comes with Ezra SIL from
www.sil.org. This setup works well with Windows 2000 and XP, and even fairly
well with Windows 95!

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com