b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Arial & Times New Roman fonts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: susan AT read-the-bible.org, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Arial & Times New Roman fonts
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:36:41 EST

In a message dated 3/28/2003 10:44:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
susan AT read-the-bible.org writes:

> I'm trying to EMail with a friend in Israel whose computer evidently came
> with Arial &Times New Romans Hebrew fonts. My computer in the US has a
> number of Arial &Times New Romans fonts, but none of them are Hebrew. Any
> idea how I can get the fonts my friend has, so we can EMail Hebrew text to
> one another? My computer came from Gateway, who says they don't have such
> fonts to send me... I also checked the MicroSoft site, but got
> nowhere. There's a Penn State web page at
> http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/hebrew.html
> that says, for Windows NT/2000/XP (which I have): "Hebrew Fonts - Modern
> versions of Times New Roman, Arial, Tahoma, Courier New, and Arial Unicode
> include Hebrew characters. Lucida Sans Unicode, David, and Miriam will also
>
> work.
> Most of these fonts are available through Windows."

When I enter Hebrew in web pages, I format it with the standard Times New
Roman font that comes with Windows. You are dealing with a unicode font.
Unless you have a unicode word processor such as Unitype GlobalWriter
(www.unitype.com), you will need to use the insert symbol function in MS Word
to enter Hebrew characters. Unicode is unlike the standard ASCII characters.
They only cover 255 different characters so you need to switch fonts to
enter a language which doesn't use Latin-based characters. In unicode each
language has its own series of characters which differ from all others.

gfsomsel