b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Emendations, was: Deut 32:5 SHiCHeT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Emendations, was: Deut 32:5 SHiCHeT
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:45:16 +1100

Trevor, I don't think I would agree with you here, speaking from the
viewpoint of a translator. Your analogy is misplaced: translators and
exegetes are not doctors charged with healing the text, but scholars
charged with understanding and translating what we have. We can
speculate that what we have is not exactly what was originally written,
but in most cases that is speculation and any reconstruction of the
original is even more speculative. If we start to translate such
reconstructions, we start on a very slippery slope towards translating
what some "doctor" thinks that the author ought to have written rather
than the text we have in front of us.

When we have an apparently corrupt text in front of us, what should we
do? One thing we should note is that this text has generally been read,
used, translated and copied for centuries as it stands, which suggests
that someone has been able to make sense of it, a sense which is
probably reflected in older commentaries and translations, if for now we
ignore those which seem to be based on a different text. Another key
point is that the text may not be saying what we expect it to say, and
may not follow regular syntax, especially in older poetic passages like
this one. I have also noted that scholars proposing emendations often
display a serious lack of imagination in considering how the text as it
stands might be understood, although their imagination runs riot in
proposing emended texts.

So I would suggest that we ought to exegete and translate the text as it
stands, wherever possible, even if we do have reason to suspect that it
might have been corrupted at some time. And we should beware of assuming
such corruptions when some sense can be made of the text as it stands.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

I'm
> also not suggesting that everyone should emend the text in this
particular
> case, but we should at least have good reasons for what we do or don't
do.)

<snip>