b-hebrew - Re: Verb (haya) 'to be' - help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: watts-westmaas AT zonnet.nl, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Verb (haya) 'to be' - help
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:09:02 EST

In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:25:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, watts-westmaas AT zonnet.nl writes:

In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:08:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, watts-westmaas AT zonnet.nl writes:

Please could someone tell me the historical and/or grammatical reasons why
the word (haya) 'to be' is written differently in the following:

Exodus 3:12 'I will be with you' - in the future - this is self
explanatory
Exodus4:15 'I will be with you' - also self explanatory

BUT, in Exodus 6:7 'I will be to you God' - In the Past? (hayiti)
and then twice in Hosea 13:14 'I will be thy plagues, I will be thy
destruction' the final letter 'heh' is dropped? from the future tense, and
subsequently a different pronounciation.

You had me a bit puzzled regarding your citation of Hos 13.14 (twice).  HfYfH does not appear in this passage.  What you have done is to confuse it with ):eHiY [which also has the forms )"Y and )"Y."H] meaning "where" with the verb HfYfH.  In Ex 3.12 and 4.15 you have the "imperfect" form whereas Ex 6.7 the form is "perfect".

[watts-westmaas] Hello, Sorry I really do not understand why then it is translated as 'I WILL BE' in Hosea?  the eHiY was what I was talking about but where does the 'WHERE' fit in all this?

Hos 13.14

MiYaD $:)oWL )eP:D."M MiM.fWeT )eG)fL"M ):eHiY D:BfYeYKf MfWeT ):eHiY Qf+fB:Kf $:)oWL NoXaM YiS.T"R M"("YNfY

Shall I redeem them from the power of Sheol?
Shall I redeem them from Mot?
Where is your plague Mot?
Where is your destruction Sheol?
Repentence is hidden from my eyes.