b-hebrew - Verb (haya) 'to be' - help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris Watts-westmaas" <watts-westmaas AT zonnet.nl>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Verb (haya) 'to be' - help
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 05:11:02 -0500

Please could someone tell me the historical and/or grammatical reasons why
the word (haya) 'to be' is written differently in the following:

Exodus 3:12 'I will be with you' - in the future - this is self
explanatory
Exodus4:15 'I will be with you' - also self explanatory

BUT, in Exodus 6:7 'I will be to you God' - In the Past? (hayiti)
and then twice in Hosea 13:14 'I will be thy plagues, I will be thy
destruction' the final letter 'heh' is dropped? from the future tense, and
subsequently a different pronounciation.

Thanking you for your help. Chris.