b-hebrew - Re: hapodeinu / hapod'cha

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hapodeinu / hapod'cha
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:45:16 +1100

I wonder if one reason for this peculiarity is that the participle, in
for example "HaShem ha'oseh shalom...", is acting not as a noun but as
an adjective, and so takes the article because of the rule that an
adjective describing a definite noun (or pronoun?) takes the article. In
a case like hapod'cha, the adjective, because it is also a participle,
takes a personal suffix which is not normal with regular adjectives. But
I guess the rule that a noun cannot take both the article and a personal
suffix applies to nouns only and is not extended to adjectives.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

ha-podenu,