b-hebrew - Re: hapodeinu / hapod'cha

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason A. Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: hapodeinu / hapod'cha
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 19:43:52 -0500

Dear Mr. Heijmans,

The participle itself can indicate "who does..." It is not necessary to
have a relative pronoun in this construction. However, the article
functions not as a relative pronoun in this situation, but as a definite
marker. For example, if you say "the Lord who makes peace..." you say
"HaShem ha'oseh shalom..." That doesn't really mean that "ha-" is a
relative pronoun. Rather, it is "The Lord, the one who makes peace..."

I would still think (from what I've read anyway) that it is very weird for
an article to be attached to a partiple that is carrying a suffix (even an
objective suffix). They are automatically definite because of the suffix,
thus they do not need an article. I wish I had some resources to read
about the peculiarities of actually finding forms like these that have the
article attached to a suffixed participle.

Regards,
Jason