b-hebrew - Re: Alephs and Ayins and Vavs! Oh My!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Alephs and Ayins and Vavs! Oh My!
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:46:36 +1100

The sound Joe is referring to is technically a voiced pharyngeal
fricative - heth should be a voiceless version of the same sound. It is
a bit like a cough from the top of the throat. So try saying a long
aaahh and coughing quickly in the middle of it, and you should be saying
something like qamets-ayin-qamets. This sound should be considered a
consonant, not a vowel.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

Jews
> from Arabic speaking countries such as Yemin actually pronounce the
'Ayin
> when speaking Hebrew. If you can find a native speaker of Arabic,
he/she
> would be able to teach you to pronounce the 'Ayin since Arabic still
uses
> the 'ayin. Basically it is a vowel sound with a constriction of the
> throat (a bit like talking while being strangled). Better heard than
> described.
>
> JMS
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as:
[peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com]