b-hebrew - RE: Zechariah 6:13 - and he shall be a priest upon his throne

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Zechariah 6:13 - and he shall be a priest upon his throne
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:27:21 EST

In a message dated 11/14/2002 11:30:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, schmuel AT escape.com writes:

>Dear Schmuel,
>You are trying to reach a solution in which only one person
>is involved, and that person is both priest and king on the
>(single) throne. It won't work, because the verse continues
>"and a counsel of peace will be between the two of them."
>The writer has two separate and distinct people in mind.
>Liz Fried.

Schmuel

Hi Liz, nice to see you jump in :-)

Well, that is clearly one exegesis of the passage,..... :-)
We had one that leaned that way, vesting a new subject in the previous phrase,
and two in the opposite way.(he).. (while I am just a learner and listener)

What I have learned here on this passage I will summarize..

1) grammatically "he shall" and "there shall be" are essentially a wash...
    Neither is grammatically "correct" or "incorrect", that was my
first real issue
    Any claim of "mistranslation" (which is where I came in, on another
forum)
        is a false claim, except if they change the "upon/seated" or
"shall be"

2) the five previous actions by the branch in sequence would mitigate for "he"

3) the plural in the subsequent verse is a similar argument for "they"

Neither (2) or (3) is conclusive...

It's only "one exegesis of the passage" if you can show that "the two" can refer to something other that two persons since that is what the text says.

gfsomsel