b-hebrew - RE: Zechariah 6:13 - and he shall be a priest upon his throne

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Zechariah 6:13 - and he shall be a priest upon his throne
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:17:02 -0500

Schmuel wrote:

> I was referring to the Hebrew text
> .... does it have a clear, or only an implied proposition..
>
> Some translations have "he",
> others have "there shall be"
>
> while, the three most literal I know have neither.
> leaving the word "he" or "there" or whatever to simply to be implied..

Maybe you're not using the right term. "He" is a pronoun. Do you mean the
subject of the action? Hebrew verbs have implied subjects. A subject can be
stated explicitly, but for either of these options, I wouldn't expect an
explicit subject. The implied subject in this case is masculine singular,
which works for an unspecified subject or for the person who's already in
view.

[snipped]

> My question is does the Hebrew behind
> *and he shall be a priest upon his throne**
>
> equally allow for both possibilities, "he shall be" or "there shall be"

I would say so.

[snipped]

> "upon/on/seated" vs.
> "before"
>
> These are very different in English.. how does the Hebrew wash out ?

Of 57 instances in the Hebrew Bible where this preposition collocates with
this word for "throne," I couldn't find one that meant anything but actually
being on the throne itself. So I'm not sure where the idea of "before" the
throne comes in.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics