b-hebrew - Re: Micah 5:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yohanan Shalom b. David" <ybd_talmidtorah AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Micah 5:2
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:16:30 -0500

Shalom All,

This verse should be placed in context with what is written about King David in Ezekiel chapters 34, and 36:

Ezekiel 34:23, 24 Then I will appoint a single shepherd over them to tend them -- My servant David. He shall tend them, he shall be a shepherd to them. I, YHWH, will be their God, and My servant David shall be a ruler among them -- I, YHWH, have spoken.

Ezekiel 37:24, 25 My servant David shall be king over them; there shall be one shepherd for all of them. They shall follow My rules and faithfully obey My laws. Thus they shall remain in the land which I gave to My servant Jacob and in which your fathers dwelt; they and their children and their children's children shall dwell there forever, with My servant David as their prince for all time.

When these are put into context with Micah 5:2, then we can see that this speaks of King David, coming forth from Bethlehem to be the one king, and shepherd, in the last days.

May YHWH bless and keep you!

Yohanan Shalom b. David