b-hebrew - Micah 5:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lew Osborne" <osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Micah 5:2
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:31:44 +1000

Greetings

Micah 5:2
2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands
of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler
in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
In this translation the word from which forth is translated is a different
word in these two places. The second word gives the impression that it
relates at the very least to the emptying of bowels or toilets or possibly
in the context of the first section of the verse to 'birth'.

I gain the impression that it relates to many women over a long period of
time giving birth and looking for the one one who will come from Bethlehem
Ephratah.

Any comments.

Lew Osborne
osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au