b-hebrew - Re: Pronunciation and Genesis 2:7 - an apology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: lder <lder AT chello.nl>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pronunciation and Genesis 2:7 - an apology
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:47:59 +0200

Dear Shai,

Thank you for your gracious apology, but I'm not sure it is in order here
since I'm not convinced Bearpecs and I were right when suggesting that the
shewa is mobile. True, there is a meteg and the following shewa ought to be
mobile, but according to Gesenius (ยง 16f) it is not. It seems that the verbs
HYH and XYH are somewhat of an exception as far as the vocalisation of their
preformative syllables is concerned. Is Gesenius outdated here? And if not
what could account for that exception? Any thoughts?

regards,
Levina de Ruijter
Amsterdam
ps: I apologize for replying to your mail a tad late; I've been very busy
the last couple of days.