b-hebrew - RE: Iron and Bronze.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson"<scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Iron and Bronze.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:14:34 -0400

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:52:04 +0100 (BST) =?iso-8859-1?q?Ian=20Goldsmith?=
<iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>I was more interested in any info other that might
>exist on the Hebrew for 'iron'.

Even in the Bronze Age, there was some
metalworking of iron if only in the reshaping
of iron meteorite fragments that have fallen
to the earth. I think King Tutankhamen's tomb
contained a dagger made of iron meteorite.

The key to the Iron Age was in the smelting
process to obtain iron, which required furnaces
that generate much higher temperatures than
needed for smelting copper. Once metallic
iron was obtained (by smelting it or from
meteorites), the working of it is quite not so
difficult.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson,