b-hebrew - RE: Ps 102 "you are he"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <BillRoss AT norisksoftware.com>
  • To: "'George Athas'" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ps 102 "you are he"
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 09:33:29 -0500

<George>
>>Hebrew usually has it in the attributive position also, but you may
well have a substantive use in Ps 102.

<Bill>
Many thanks to all who have supplied helpful feedback on this issue.

George, am I understanding you correctly that these are the possibile
readings raised:

"you are the identical one [as I am]" [attributive, referring to
sameness of identity]

"you are the identical way [as I am]" [attributive, referring to
sameness of an attribute]

"you are the person in question" [substantive, referring to identity]

"you are unchanged" [attributive, with an unusual, but legit reading]

If you had to translate this verse, how would you do it?

Bill Ross