b-hebrew - Re: Ps 102 "you are he"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ps 102 "you are he"
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:05:17 +1000

| I said that the writer of Hebrews translated it, "You are the same."
| Actually, the Greek (su de (o autos), like the Hebrew, could also be
| translated into English as "You are He." The rendering "You are the same"
| is an interpretation in the English translation.

Actually, both Hebrew HW) and Greek autos can and do mean 'same'. They do
represent the identical
pronoun. Our confusion comes in that English has a separate identical pronoun
-- the word "same".
In the contexts mentioned above, both the Greek and the Hebrew imply the word
"same". It actually
is not an interpretation. Yes, the words themselves are masculine pronouns,
but they occur in a
context. This context requires us to understand the word "same", both in the
Hebrew and the Greek.

Best regards,

Dr GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer of Biblical Languages