b-hebrew - RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:17:21 -0400

I agree with the contention, but another angle on the issue is, who would
teach Shakespeare without being able at least to read Modern English, even to
converse in it? I don't know, because I've never gone through such a program,
but I wonder whether it is normal for someone to teach older stages of, say,
German, French, or English without knowing the modern form of the language?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics