b-hebrew - OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:21:56 -0400

shalom Trevor,

Good point, below, and you said, not I.

>(I know--I should have
>learned Modern Hebrew by now,

emet. `alexa haya la`asot ken.

>but unfortunately it's not required for my
>program, and I don't have the time to do extra stuff right now.)<

A distinguished professor at Hebrew U once made the comment that
the whole field suffers for lack of fluent control of the language(s).
It's hard for a school to require something at a PhD level that would
naturally have been expected in the first two-three years of a first
degree.

blessings,

Randall Buth,
Jerusalem